Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Mylon Hayes Family

It’s a Family Thing


Family is an important element of Southern Gospel Music. Think back through the
years, and you’ll remember that some of the most successful and the most loved groups are indeed family groups. One comes to mind, a recently retired group that you no doubt have heard of… The McKameys. Their harmonies were tight, and their songs were anointed. Do you remember the Speer Family, the Singing Cookes? Recently the Collingsworth Family, and the Jordan Family Band have made a name for themselves.

Now that our thinking is towards family groups, I want to introduce you to or at least remind you of The Mylon Hayes Family. This an extension of the Hayes Family in which Mylon sang for 40 years. Mylon Hayes is continuing in the gospel heritage with his bride, Wendy, their twin boys, Conner and Bailey, and their daughter Kennedy. 

I recently got a message from Pastor Byron Chesney, he asked me to check the Mylon Hayes Family out. He said, “I’ve recently started listening to them, my favorite is Resurrection Power.” When I receive a request, I take it seriously, so for two weeks I’ve listened to their music and I must echo Pastor Chesney, “man, they have some great stuff.”

Their last album goes back to 2018, with fourteen songs, it is a great find in an era of six or seven tracks per album. It begins with, “We Come in the Name of Jesus”, lifting the name of Christ in song, this is a terrific song that will get your toes tapping but make you think about that name that is above every name… Jesus. 

Though released two years ago, “God Can Still Turn it Around” is a near prophetic song for the current health crisis in America and around the world. Wendy sings powerful lyrics like, “You wonder how it ever got this far, never dreamed your world would fall apart…”, have hope dear reader, God is still in control.
Madison leads the very next song on the album, “God is Always Faithful”, is a pleasant reminder that “God will do what He promised”. 

With styles ranging from Camp meeting, Hymns, traditional Southern Gospel to a grammatically incorrect song “Ain’t It Good”. I’m a new listener to the Mylon Hayes Family, however, with only one album in my library, I’m ready for more. I’m certain if you take a moment or two, you too would be hooked, but that’s just my Southern Gospel Point of View.

For more Southern Gospel news, visit www.southerngospelpov.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment