Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Sometimes I Remember


If you know me personally, you will already know, I am so forgetful. Since COVID-19 things have gotten worse. So in an exercise to outrun the COVID induced “Brain Fog”, I find myself forcing myself to remember things from years ago. It’s true, I can rarely remember yesterday, but there’s something special about those bygone years that draws my mind to them.

If you remember, I started listening to Southern Gospel music when I was a pre-teen, around 10 years of age. Some of the first groups were, The McKameys, The Kingdom Heirs, Gold City, The Kingsmen, The Florida Boys, and an unheard of group called the Regals. So, because of the imprint those years made on me, my mind spends countless hours remembering the groups and music of those days. 

How many remember the first song you heard that made an impact on you? I suppose one of the first was “Miracle in Me” by the Greenes. If you have any Holy Ghost fire in your bones, it is bound to show during that one. Then “it’s Still the Blood” by the Inspirations, the message of the Old Accuser being told the truth once again about my sin being covered with the Blood of Christ, is one that I simply cannot get over.

Oh! Do you remember “Oh, What a Savior”? Ernie Haas sings with the Cathedrals this 1948 Marvin Dalton hymn in such a way that Ernie himself cannot duplicate in EHSS. Don’t get me started on “Walking Back Down” by the Chandlers. My heart simply cannot recall the times that this song has burst into my heart and out of my mouth. Here’s a few lyrics, “I’ve spent a lot of time at Calvary, kneeling before the Lamb, His blood makes everything whiter than snow, when I come just as I am”. Can I just write a hearty AMEN? AMEN!

Let’s go back to the early 1990’s, Charles Johnson and the Revivers, “Until Then”, “I Can’t Even Walk”, and “My God is Real”. Go ahead, let yourself get filled with the flood of emotion and spirit that Charles sings with. “Until then, I’ll lift the name of Jesus, Until I’ll lead the lost Sheep to the fold…”. I nearly ready to rapture out of this world. Praise the Name of Jesus.

You see, I remember many of those “old” songs, and “old” artists, because they are memorable. They weren’t just songs to make your feet tap to the beat, those songs had meaning and a message.  Today, artists, musicians, and writers occasionally miss the mark on that. They are caught away with popularity and the wind of relevancy, but I’ll keep on remembering those songs from my past. 

If you’re having one of those hard days, take a few moments to remember those “good ole days” and you’ll find the encouragement you need, but that’s just my Southern Gospel Point of View. 

For more Southern Gospel news, visit www.southerngospelpov.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment